Medical condition may have triggered Van Dyke crash
October 4, 2012
Police believe a medical condition may have caused a 29-year-old man to cross the median and collide with a tractor-trailer on Van Dyke the morning of Oct. 4.
According to Lt. Luke Riley of the Sterling Heights Police Department, the Sterling Heights resident was traveling in a Ford minivan on southbound Van Dyke, just south of 17 Mile, when the crash occurred.
“He left the roadway, entered the median and struck about a 10-inch tree,” said Riley. “He continued on into northbound traffic and struck a tractor-trailer that was slowed for a red light, causing additional damage to the van and to the tractor-trailer.”
The van’s driver suffered serious head injuries and was transported to Henry Ford Macomb Hospital in Clinton Township for treatment, said Riley. The tractor-trailer driver, a 29-year-old Rochester man, complained of back pain, but declined to be taken to the hospital, he added.
At press time, the crash was still under investigation, and northbound Van Dyke was shut down for a few hours to accommodate analysis of the scene.
“Alcohol and drugs do not appear to be a factor; however, a medical condition, maybe,” said Riley.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township