Man faces assault charges for allegedly threatening people with knife

By: Robert Guttersohn | Royal Oak Review | Published February 11, 2014


An 18-year-old Royal Oak man was arraigned on charges of felonious assault Feb. 11 after allegedly attempting to stab his father during an argument and threatening two other people.

Police said Ryan James Yarnevich fled his home along the 1100 block of Woodlawn Avenue at about 11 p.m. Feb. 9 after his father and a female friend barricaded themselves in a basement bedroom.

“Apparently, (the argument) was about a family pet,” said Lt. Dave Clemens, of the Royal Oak Police Department.

Police said the suspect tried to force his way into the bedroom but failed. Someone inside the home called police, Clemens said.

After fleeing on foot, Yarnevich allegedly threatened a female who was getting in her car parked outside a friend’s house in the 1200 block of Midland Boulevard.

Police said Yarnevich yelled at her with the knife still in hand and ran toward her car.

The female drove away as her male friend, whom she was visiting, confronted Yarnevich from the house’s porch.

Yarnevich then allegedly threatened the friend, who locked himself inside his home and called police.

Clemens said Yarnevich did not personally know the latter two people he allegedly threatened.

Police said Yarnevich continued east on Midland until being found near Campbell Road, where he was arrested without incident.

“Once he realized it was officers that were talking to him, he was compliant,” Clemens said.

Yarnevich was charged in 44th District Court with two counts of felonious assault and one count of domestic violence.

His bond was set at $10,000, and he is due to appear in court at 9 a.m. Feb. 14 for his pre-exam conference.

Yarnevich requested a court-appointed attorney who has not yet been assigned, according to the court.

Further, Yarnevich is not to have any contact with the reported victims, according to the court.

“The responding officers worked as a team, used good tactics and judgment, and were able to safely take this young man into custody without anyone being hurt,” said Royal Oak Police Chief Corrigan O’Donohue in a statement.