Man demands cash, tries to steal groceries
May 1, 2013
WARREN — Warren police hope store security video will lead to the arrest of a suspect who allegedly attempted to rob a woman of cash and groceries in the parking lot of 7-Eleven at Nine Mile and Schoenherr late on April 21.
According to Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills, a 35-year-old Harper Woods woman said she was approached by a man in the parking lot of the store on the northeast corner of the intersection at about 11:30 p.m.
“A 20-year-old white male tried to rob a Harper Woods resident as she was at the 7-Eleven. He reached into her vehicle and grabbed a bag of her groceries,” Mills said.
The suspect, further described as 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing about 195 pounds with a mustache and beard, wearing a black coat and blue jeans, reportedly fled through the parking lot on foot.
Mills said the man dropped the groceries after 7-Eleven employees began chasing him.
“He approached her (the victim) and asked for $20,” Mills said. “She told him she didn’t have any money. When she did that, he reached in and grabbed the groceries.
“He left empty-handed, due to the quick thinking of 7-Eleven staff,” Mills said. “He was thwarted in his attempt.”
The woman reported no injuries and the man escaped capture by responding officers.
Anyone with information about the incident can reach Warren detectives at (586) 574-4810.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville