A scary situation had a happy ending on Lake St. Clair after a man tried to take his two daughters out fishing and ended up swimming instead.
Around 11 a.m. Nov. 4, a 47-year-old Eastpointe man was thrown overboard from his 12-foot Lund fishing boat by a wave on Lake St. Clair, said St. Clair Shores Fire Chief George Morehouse.
Left in the now un-manned boat, however, were his 3- and 4-year-old daughters. Morehouse said they had on life jackets at the time.
“He decided to swim to shore,” Morehouse said. “Upon getting to shore, he had some maintenance people at (Shore Club Apartments near Nine Mile Road) … picked him up and drove him to take him inside. He called 911 from there.”
Morehouse said his department responded with its water rescue equipment and boat and also contacted the Coast Guard, who found the girls floating in the boat close to shore near Brownie’s on the Lake restaurant.
“They pulled the boat toward their boat, took the kids off the boat,” Morehouse said of the Coast Guard rescue. No one was hurt in the incident, he said.
“He was on his way out to go to Ford’s Cove and then he realized the waves, the water conditions, were too rough and decided to return to where he had launched … near Blossom Heath,” said St. Clair Shores Police Detective Jeff Goode. “A wave crashed into his boat, knocking him into the water.”
Goode said the man was approximately 200 feet from shore when he was knocked into the lake; by the time he surfaced, his boat was already another 200 feet away from him, “spiraling out of control.”
There’s been no decision made yet as to any possible charges to be filed in the incident.
“At this time, we’re still looking into the matter,” Goode said Nov. 5. “Still got some witnesses and people to interview.”
“The end result was, everybody was safe, it was a perfect ending,” Morehouse said. “It was pretty windy and it was coming from the east, so the water was pretty choppy.”
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- No charges for customer who shot accused bank robber - Warren
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Nurse anesthetists to host Ether Day Frolic 5K at River Bends Park - Shelby Township
- Residents, businesses honored for beautification - St. Clair Shores
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township