Man in custody after fleeing, choking police dog, escaping from ER

By: Kristyne E. Demske | St. Clair Shores Sentinel | Published April 24, 2014

A Detroit man is in custody after leading police on a chase, injuring a police dog and escaping again from a local hospital.

St. Clair Shores Police Lt. Steve Lambert said that officers attempted to stop a 1993 Jeep traveling westbound on I-94 near Eight Mile Road around 1:47 a.m. April 23 because it had defective equipment.

The vehicle did not stop for police but instead slowed down on the shoulder, where a passenger jumped out and ran up the embankment; the Jeep then drove off again, continuing to elude police.

Somewhere in the area between the Vernier Road and Allard Avenue exits, the Jeep deliberately drove up the embankment and the driver got out of the vehicle and ran away.

“The Jeep then rolled back down and slammed into the scout car,” Lambert said.

Luckily, the officer stayed in his vehicle long enough for the vehicle to glance off his car, then got out to pursue the suspect.

Lambert said officers set up a perimeter and requested help from the Roseville Police K-9 unit on duty. The dog was able to track the man to where he was hiding between a building and bushes.

“When it went in to get him after he failed to comply with the three commands that are typically given (to come out) … he was punching and choking the dog,” Lambert said.

Police had to use a stun gun on the man to get him into custody, and then transported him to St. John Hospital in Detroit for the minor injuries he sustained during the incident.

“While he was handcuffed behind his back on a gurney … he found an opportunity to bolt from the emergency room, running across Moross, and officers again engaged in foot pursuit and got him,” Lambert said.

The 24-year-old man was identified as Ronald Kirk Brown of Detroit. After he was treated for his minor wounds, he was arraigned April 23 in 40th District Court on charges of fleeing and eluding, resisting an officer, escape from custody, driving while license suspended and injuring and harassing a police animal while committing a crime.

Police are also investigating items found inside the Jeep which may have been stolen.

Lambert said the police K-9 did not sustain serious injuries and was doing fine after the incident.