WARREN — A 39-year-old Detroit man remains in custody with bail set at $750,000 this week after he allegedly robbed a clerk at 7-Eleven, on Nine Mile Road east of Ryan, at 1:19 a.m. Aug. 16.
According to Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills, the suspect, identified as Jamal Williams, was arrested after a police chase that began near Eight Mile Road and Cunningham and continued before ending at Sunset and Nevada on Detroit’s east side.
“A lone black male came into the store, produced a black semi-automatic handgun, put it to the clerk’s head and demanded money from the register,” Mills said. “He fled out of the store, jumped over a fence, and fled to a waiting Tahoe.”
Mills said officers checked nearby side streets running north and south and located the Tahoe heading south on Cunningham near Eight Mile. A high-speed chase ensued and continued until the Tahoe struck a fence and Williams fled on foot. A second suspect was arrested at the scene but later released.
Mills said Williams allegedly committed the robbery and drove the Tahoe.
Evidence at the scene, including the vehicle, led police to an address in Romulus where officers with the Warren Police Department’s Special Operations Unit made contact with Williams’ family.
“The car was registered to him. We got a hold of his family in Romulus. They said he called and said he was staying at his girlfriend’s house and that he got carjacked in Warren,” Mills said.
Williams later allegedly admitted to being in the car.
Police found the handgun allegedly used in the robbery on a front lawn of a home on Cunningham.
Williams was arraigned in the 37th District Court before Chief Judge John Chmura on charges of fleeing and eluding police and armed robbery, punishable by up to life in prison. He also faces a felony weapons charge. He requested a court-appointed attorney at his arraignment Aug. 19 and remained held in the Macomb County Jail with bail set at $750,000 cash.
He was scheduled to be back in court for a preliminary examination at 8:45 a.m. Aug. 26.
- 30 DAYS
- Homeless man’s body found in Clinton River - Harrison Township
- Fireworks damage house, SUV over July 4 holiday - St. Clair Shores
- Police take attempted carjacking suspect into custody - Grosse Pointe Park
- Couple assaulted after fireworks show - West Bloomfield
- Madison district asks voters to approve bond for new middle school - Madison Heights
- East Detroit approves positive budget - Eastpointe
- Hazel Park voters to decide continuation of reduced police millage Aug. 4 - Hazel Park
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- New festival comes to Mount Clemens this week - Mount Clemens
- Police identify man who drowned at Stony Creek - Shelby Township
- Huntington Woods author sees her essays about child’s passing published - Huntington Woods