WarrenMarch 20, 2013
Man burned in south Warren crash
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — A 39-year-old man suffered burns to his arm, chest and face in a fiery two-car crash at Eight Mile and Groesbeck March 19, Warren Fire Commissioner Wilburt “Skip” McAdams said.
Warren fire crews were dispatched to the accident on the northwest corner of the intersection at 7:15 p.m. and arrived to find the Detroit Fire Department on the scene.
McAdams said a cell tower in the area routed an incoming 911 call to Detroit’s emergency dispatch center, which sent Detroit police and fire units to the intersection where firefighters pulled the victim from his burning car and worked to extinguish the vehicle.
“We arrived to find two cars fully involved. Detroit Fire was putting out one car and Warren Fire put out the second,” McAdams said. “The victim who was injured was removed from the vehicle by Detroit Fire and set on the median between Eight Mile.”
Warren paramedics treated the man for burns sustained in the fire and transported him to St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit in critical but stable condition.
The driver of a second vehicle involved in the crash was not injured and not treated by the Warren Fire Department, McAdams said.
It was not immediately clear what caused the fire during the crash but McAdams said such incidents are rare, especially when both vehicles become engulfed.
“I can only think of a handful in 30 years with fully-involved vehicles,” McAdams said. “Normally they are high-speed accidents.”
Deputy Warren Police Commissioner Louis Galasso said the injured driver was responsible for the rear-end collision but that no other information about the crash was available March 20.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Local chefs share trade secrets for creating the perfect holiday cookie - Metro Detroit
- Parks and Rec confirms ITC won’t work on trail until 2014 - West Bloomfield
- Mount Clemens man accused of sexually assaulting daughters - Mount Clemens
- Special needs program receives $10,000 grant for iPads - Hazel Park
- Two suspects on loose after robbing Comerica Bank - Clinton Township
- Man charged for indecent exposure on Hall Road - Utica
- Holiday Shopping Expo comes to town Dec. 14-15 - Farmington Hills
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi