WarrenOctober 2, 2013
Looking sharp in school
By Maria Allard
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — More than 400 Fitzgerald Public Schools elementary school children will be fashionable this year, thanks to the Assistance League of Southeastern Michigan Operation School Bell program.
On Sept. 19, more than 100 volunteers from the organization took 453 children from Mound Park, Schofield and Westview elementary schools shopping in a temporary department store set up inside the district’s Neigebaur building.
Each student shopped with their own personal shopper from the League, who helped them pick out a new winter coat, a hat, gloves, pants, tops, underwear, socks, a hygiene kit and a book. Every child also received a shoe voucher and a new duffel bag to carry their new items.
Rochester Mini Storage and U-Haul provided trucks to transport supplies, and General Motors Financial employees also provided assistance. Since 1995, the Operation School Bell program has benefitted nearly 20,000 children in local public schools.
Funds raised from the Assistance League’s ReSale Connection resale shop, fundraising events, grantors, contributors and partnerships with community agencies support the organization’s mission of Caring and Commitment in Action.
For more information, call (248) 656-0414, visit www.semich.AssistanceLeague.org or visit the ReSale Connection, 204 Main St., Rochester.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- Emagine scraps plans for Roseville location - Roseville
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Man robs Roseville bank - Roseville
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi