Looking Back: Shelby Township Police Department
Posted November 6, 2013
By Hilary Davis of the Shelby Township Historical Committee
In 1956, the Shelby Township Police Department consisted of five officers and two squad cars. Pictured here standing in front of the squad cars are, from left, Patrolman Larry Gerou, Patrolman Alfred Hagerman, Chief Robert Smith, Constable Jack Millard and Patrolman Ernest Hack. The township created its first Police Department in 1954 with Robert Smith as the first and only full-time policeman. More officers were added in 1955, and Smith became the township’s first police chief. The police station was located in the Town Hall on Van Dyke Avenue in the building that now houses Atlas Jewelers.
More from C & G Newspapers