Looking Back: The Salter House
Published November 7, 2013
Source: Harper Woods Historical Committee and City of Harper Woods website
Casper Salter was the first settler in the part of Gratiot Township that is now Harper Woods. In the late 1850s, Salter took over land for his farm on Pumpkin Hook Road, which is now Kelly Road.
Other families set up their homes in the area after Salter, resulting in a community of 11 homes along Pumpkin Hook by 1875.
The Heritage Room in the lower level of the Harper Woods Public Library still has a little bit of history from the Salter Home. The glass nameplate with the Salter name that was a part of the home, above the front door, is kept in the Heritage Room.
Residents might recognize the Salter name if they’ve ever visited Salter Park near I-94 and Bournemouth.
For more on the city’s history, the lower level of the Harper Woods Public Library houses the Heritage Room, which is full of local historical photos and items. The room is open by appointment and during special events.
Do you own a piece of history? Send us your historically significant photos from around town and we may be able to feature them in an upcoming edition of Looking Back. Email them to April Lehmbeck at email@example.com or call (586) 498-1043.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township