Shelby TownshipApril 1, 2014
Looking Back: Green Glen
In 1955, when this photograph was taken, thoughts of spring would often have Detroiters looking forward to driving to Shelby Township and spending a day at one of the Clinton River parks. Green Glen was one of seven such parks in the township and Utica. It featured picnic grounds, fishing and swimming, concession stands, a bowling alley, a dance hall and a baseball diamond. Green Glen was frequented mostly by Polish groups from Detroit who called the park “Zielony Gaj.” The park closed in the 1970s, but the entrance is still visible on Ryan Road, across from Coyote Joe’s.
Sources: Photograph from the Shelby Township Historical Committee archives; information from Hilary Davis