Looking Back: Ford Plant circa 1960
Posted September 11, 2017
This circa 1960 aerial photo is of the manufacturing facility that became the Ford/Visteon plant in Shelby Township. These buildings, designed by Albert Kahn, were constructed by the Packard Motor Car Co. beginning in 1951 and were used to assemble and test J-47 turbojet engines. After Packard went out of business, Curtiss-Wright bought the facility in 1958 and also used it to test military jet aircraft engines. In 1961, the plant was sold to Ford Motor Co. By 1962, Ford had moved its automotive trim operations to this facility from Highland Park. Ford spun off its trim operations in 2000, creating the Visteon Corp.
— Photo and caption provided by Hilary Davis, of the Shelby Township Historical Committee
More from C & G Newspapers
Auburn Hills / Bloomfield Township
Clinton Township / Fraser / Warren
Mount Clemens / Harrison Township