St. Clair ShoresAugust 1, 2014
Looking Back: Dutch Mill Barbecue
Submitted by: Cynthia Bieniek, Archivist, St. Clair Shores Public Library
Drivers approaching the intersection of Harper Avenue and Little Mack from the 1920s to the 1950s recognized the windmill landmark that was the Dutch Mill Barbecue. Originally named the Moulin Rouge, this was one of the first drive-up/carry-out restaurants in the village of St. Clair Shores. According to local historian Harry Kraus, the restaurant was called the Dutch Mill during the Prohibition era (1917-1933.) It was run by Roy Stockwell. The 1930 U.S. Census lists Royal F. Stockwell, his wife Jewell, and four daughters living in St. Clair Shores. He listed his occupation as a proprietor of a barbecue. In the 1940 U.S. Census, Roy listed his occupation as a policeman. The Dutch Mill fell into disrepair over time and burned in the 1950s.