Looking Back: Community Church
February 5, 2014
Photo submitted by James Tong, Berkley Historical Museum
The Rev. Oren Van Loon bought this former temporary school building in 1929, when it stood on Catalpa Drive, and moved it to Kipling Avenue.
Van Loon founded the Berkley Community Church in the building, and the building was expanded over the years. The Berkley Community Church has since moved to 2855 Wiltshire Road.
James Tong, with the Berkley Historical Museum, came across this photo while compiling it as part of “Images of America: Berkley,” which is available at the Berkley Public Library, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Nurse anesthetists to host Ether Day Frolic 5K at River Bends Park - Shelby Township
- Commission candidates share priorities at forum - Bloomfield Hills
- Traffic study closes lanes on service drive, Main Street near Woodward - Pleasant Ridge
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township