Sterling Heights, Warren
Looking Back: Class in session at the Berz School in Sterling Heights
Posted November 6, 2013
Source: Warren Historical & Genealogical Society
Teacher Edith Irene Baumgartner — who became Mrs. John Rinke — presides over class at the Berz School in 1910. The building, also called the “North School,” was constructed in 1859 on the west side of Mound just south of 15 Mile Road to serve the children of local pioneer families. The school eventually became part of the Warren Consolidated School District in 1941 and was sold in 1952.
Also identified in this photo, held in the archives of the Warren Historical & Genealogical Society, was Baumgartner’s sister, Veronica, seated second from left in the second row of the class.
Mrs. Rinke and her husband, John Rinke, once lived on 120 acres of hunting and farmland near Hoover and Masonic. The couple reportedly had 10 children, 30 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
More from C & G Newspapers
Grosse Pointe Farms
Grosse Pointe Park / Royal Oak