Looking Back: The Calvin Pierce homestead
Posted May 7, 2014
The above photograph, taken in the 1930s, is of the Calvin Pierce homestead that was located near the southwest corner of 23 Mile Road and Van Dyke Avenue.
Samuel Curtis purchased the original land parcel of 160 acres in 1820. The land was later sold to Calvin Pierce, who probably built this house around 1850 and farmed the surrounding fields.
The house was torn down in the 1970s to make way for commercial development along Van Dyke Avenue. The KFC now sits where the house used to be, with the Roller Rink occupying the field in back.
Sources: Photograph from the Shelby Township Historical Committee archives; information from Hilary Davis
More from C & G Newspapers
Southfield / Farmington Hills