Looking Back: The Bloomfield Township Public Library
Posted June 24, 2014
This year, the BTPL is inviting the community to celebrate its golden anniversary. The library first opened its doors Oct. 18, 1964, in the Devon Building, located on the corner of Long Lake and Telegraph roads. Two years later, a ballot proposal requesting funding for a permanent building passed, and in April 1967, plans for the new, permanent building were revealed. The blueprint was created by Charles MacMahon from Tarapta-MacMahon Associates. In March 1969, the library staff moved into the new building.
Eight years later, the BTPL became the first public library in Michigan to have a computer-automated circulation system. In August 1986, a $2.5 million bond issues passed, allowing the library to expand from 31,000 square feet to 55,000 square feet. The new addition included the community room, an audio visual room, a youth story room and an enlarged Adult Services Department. In October 1997, a drive-up book return was added to the building.
In 2004, a library improvement bond passed for another expansion and renovation, and the following year, ground was broken. A rededication ribbon cutting ceremony was held in October 2008.
The BTPL now covers 100,000 square feet and offers a collection of nearly 350,000 books, 543 magazine subscriptions and over 22,000 e-books.
The BTPL is located at 1099 Lone Pine Road. For more information, call (248) 642-5800 or visit www.btpl.org.
More from C & G Newspapers
St. Clair Shores