RochesterJuly 17, 2013
Images wanted for first Paint Creek Trail calendar
By Mary Beth Almond
C & G Staff Writer
ROCHESTER — Avid photographers of all ages are encouraged to submit their Paint Creek Trail photographs for possible inclusion in the first trail calendar this month.
Friends of the Paint Creek Trail President Jim VanDoorn said the group is creating a 2014 trail calendar that they hope to sell to raise money for various trail improvements during the Labor Day Bridge Walk in honor of the 30th anniversary of the Paint Creek Trail.
“The friends group is always looking for things to do to promote the trail, and we thought this would be a fun thing to do,” he said. “We have a lot of avid trail users who use the trail regularly, with their cameras in tow, and take pictures along the trail, so we thought this would be a great opportunity for them to share those photos with us.”
Kristen Myers, trail manager of the Paint Creek Trailways Commission, said in an email that the Paint Creek Trail has been a jewel for 30 years.
“A calendar commemorating our 30th anniversary is a beautiful way to capture the natural essence and many seasons of the trail. We look forward to seeing all the great photos our visitors send us,” she said.
VanDoorn said each person may submit up to four original digital or print photographs. Organizers said digital photographs are preferred, and must be either .tiff, .jpg or .png file formats, in the highest resolution possible. Print photographs must be a minimum 8-by-10-inches and will not be returned.
“We’re looking for regular photographs of the trail, all seasons — winter, spring, summer and fall. We also hope that some people may have some historic photos of the trail, like from 20 to 30 years ago. Anything creative, original, or historic — as long as the trail is part of it — would be acceptable,” VanDoorn said.
There is no fee to enter, and all entries must be received by 5 p.m. July 31.
Winners will be selected by votes cast by members of the Friends of the Paint Creek Trail and announced in August. Photographers whose work is chosen for the calendar are credited and will receive a free 2014 calendar per photograph.
Calendars will be available for purchase starting in September.
“This is the first time we’ve done a calendar, and maybe it will become an annual thing,” VanDoorn added.
The anniversary celebration will be held 10 a.m.-noon Oct. 12 at the Paint Creek Cider Mill, and it will be open to the public.
“Photos from the contest will be on display for all to enjoy,” Myers said in an email.
For entry forms and additional rules, terms and conditions, visit www.paintcreektrailfriends.org.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi