Homicide investigation under way for Farmington woman
February 25, 2013
Authorities are investigating the death of a 29-year-old Farmington resident who lived in the 23000 block of Colchester. A missing person’s report was filed for the woman Feb. 23, and her body was found inside the home later that night.
Her live-in boyfriend is the main suspect, police say.
According to a press release issued by the Farmington Public Safety Department, officers responded to the home for the missing woman at 10 p.m. Saturday. The boyfriend allegedly told officers that she had been missing since 12:30 a.m. Feb. 22, when she left to go a party, and had not returned.
Public Safety Director Robert Schulz said that the department is not releasing details on what they believe actually happened that night, but that the woman not being seen after attending a party was the suspect’s “accusation.”
Friends of the victim said she left the party that night to go pick her boyfriend up from work, according to the press release.
Officers checked the home as part of the investigation and reported signs of foul play and what appeared to be bloody plastic. The boyfriend was detained and then reportedly confessed to “having a verbal argument that turned physical,” the press release said.
Schulz noted that the suspect is around the age of 28 and that their relationship and living arrangement was “longer term.” Further details are not being released, he added, until the arraignment and out of respect for the family.
“We are not going to release any more details on the body and where it was found,” he said. “The family said their daughter wouldn’t want details made to the public, that she was a very private person. We want to respect those wishes.”
With the assistance of Oakland County Sheriff’s Department Crime Lab personnel, officers executed a search warrant at the home and found her body. Her boyfriend is currently in police custody and the case will be submitted to the Oakland County Prosecutors Office for formal charges.
Schulz said Monday that he anticipated the suspect being arraigned by Tuesday afternoon.
“This is a very sad situation, and our prayers go out to the victim’s family,” he stated in the press release.
The department noted that this is the first homicide in Farmington since the summer of 2005.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Motorcylist dies shortly after collision on Gratiot Avenue - Clinton Township
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit