Shelby TownshipDecember 5, 2012
Holiday run/walk raises funds for local charities
By Brad D. Bates
C & G Staff Writer
SHELBY TOWNSHIP — It may not have a long history, but one holiday institution in Shelby Township will make the holidays brighter Dec. 16.
The annual Jingle Bell Run will be held for the third year Dec. 16 and raise money for the Macomb County Special Olympics and other charities.
“The Jingle Bell Run is a 5k run, but for some folks like myself, it’s a walk,” township Supervisor Richard Stathakis said.
The run/walk will start with registration at 9 a.m. at the Shelby Township Community Center at 51670 Van Dyke Ave.
The course takes runners past Shelby Junior High and through Cherry Creek Golf Course and Mae Stecker Park before finishing at the community center.
“In two years, the race has almost tripled in size,” organizer Michael Ward said in an email. “Last year, the race gave away more than $5,500 to four major local charity groups.”
Ward said that, thanks to its sponsors, the run will continue this year after its founder and former primary sponsor Dave Danyko had to step down following the closure of his Biggby Coffee location on Van Dyke Avenue in Shelby Township earlier this year.
“This year, (Anderson, Eckstein and Westrick Inc.) has stepped up to be our headline sponsor,” Ward said. “Other major sponsors include (Cherry Creek Golf Course), Biggby Coffee, UAW Local 400, Amway (Joe Bauer), American Speedy Printing and (Fazal Khan & Associates Inc.).”
In addition to the run, the event will feature entertainment from Rock The House Entertainment. Jazzercise instructor Yvonne Lewis will help runners and walkers get ready to hit the course.
Along with Macomb County Special Olympics, the 2012 run will benefit the Shelby Township Lions Club, the Shelby Township Veterans Memorial, Penrickton Center and Cat Tail Acres.
“If you just want to make a donation, there are forms available,” Stathakis said of how people can help the charities, if they do not want to run.
“You can pick up a donation form and make any donation you wish. It’s all going for a great cause.”
For more information on the 2012 Jingle Bell Run or to register, contact Ward at michaelward@ctts bi.com or at (586) 484-5523 or visit www.jinglebell5krun.com.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- BBAC Holiday Shop offers unique giftware - Birmingham
- Former Berkley mayor offers to repair clock she donated to city - Berkley
- Helping Hands for Hunger food drive helps Norup students - Oak Park
- Christmas Bird Count draws near - Macomb County
- FPS superintendent retires - Farmington
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Looking Back: Warren Co-op - Warren
- Ferndale resident taking part in Potters Market for first time - Ferndale
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi