More than two months after police found two people dead in a home on Jane Street, toxicology results from the Macomb County Medical Examiner’s Office revealed the cause to be a heroin overdose.
St. Clair Shores Police Lt. David Centala said March 28 that Macomb County Medical Examiner Dr. Daniel Spitz ruled the “cause of death as heroin overdoses for both.”
Officers were called to the home in the 28000 block of Jane around 12:30 p.m. Jan. 15 to check on the welfare of a resident. When they arrived, officers saw two unresponsive people through the window of the home. They immediately forced entry into the house and found the woman who lived there, and a man, on the floor of the living room.
The pair was identified as 37-year-old Rebecca Brown, of St. Clair Shores, the owner of a Farmer’s Insurance agency on Harper Avenue, and 26-year-old David Casares of Grosse Pointe Park.
Detective Dennis Kozikowski said the heroin intoxication was ruled accidental. No narcotic paraphernalia was located at the scene. He said the case has now been closed.
Police were “waiting till we had the ME’s report, the results and everything,” Kozikowski said. “Reviewed everything in the case file … see if there was anything else we could do. With what we have at this time, basically, we’re at a standstill.”
He said Brown was well-known in the community and had done a lot for the St. Clair Shores area.
“She was well-liked, I know that,” said Centala.
He and Kozikowski noted that the medical report did not find “extremely high” amounts of the drug in the pair’s system.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- Meijer plans curbside pickup - Rochester Hills
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- K-9 to receive bulletproof vest - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Police chief recognized for domestic violence prevention - Southfield
- Rochester hires new city manager - Rochester
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township