HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A 27-year-old Harrison Township man was behind bars after he went after his neighbor with a hatchet early in the morning of April 30, Macomb County Sheriff’s officials say.
Brett Jones was arraigned in 41-B District Court in Clinton Township later that day on a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon.
According to police, Jones was heavily intoxicated when the assault occurred just after midnight.
According to the victim, a 36-year-old Port Huron Township man, he arrived home on Hickler Lane from work at around 12:30 a.m. and he was confronted by his neighbor, Jones, who was clearly intoxicated.
According to an independent witness, Jones was drinking at a nearby bar when someone had thrown a rock through the windshield of his car. As he was describing the damage to his girlfriend back at his home, the victim pulled up and the intoxicated man concluded that the victim was the person who had damaged his vehicle.
He then grabbed a “hammer-sized” hatchet and began chasing the victim.
“The victim mistook it for a hammer,” said Lt. John Michalke.
The victim told deputies that Jones chased him with the hatchet raised over his head.
The victim got back into his car and drove away, with Jones following in his vehicle. The police report states that a short automobile chase ensued before the two men returned to their respective residences. It was at that time the victim contacted police.
The victim told deputies that he did not damage Jones’ car and said he had no idea why he was being chased. No one was injured in the incident.
Jones’ bond was set at $3,000 cash or surety, 10 percent.
- 30 DAYS
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Michael Loftis pleads guilty to 1998 rape charge - Roseville
- Commission candidates share priorities at forum - Bloomfield Hills
- Traffic study closes lanes on service drive, Main Street near Woodward - Pleasant Ridge
- COPS grant will add two Harper Woods police officers - Harper Woods
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township