Grosse Pointe WoodsJanuary 23, 2013
Grosse Pointe Woods hosts annual Winterfest
By April Lehmbeck
C & G Staff Writer
GROSSE POINTE WOODS — Hundreds of residents will head out into the cold this weekend at Lake Front Park for a bit of wintertime fun.
Winterfest has become a bit of a tradition in the city with chili, cookies and activities for children.
This year marks the 12th year of the event. Winterfest, hosted by the Grosse Pointe Woods Citizens’ Recreation Commission, will be held from noon to 2 p.m. Jan. 26 at the park.
“In 2012, the Winterfest had over 200 residents and guests attend the event,” recreation supervisor Nicole Byron said in an email. “One of the highlights is the chili and cookie contest.
“This event has something for all ages, from participating in the chili and cookie contests to an inflatable slide,” she said. “Another popular part of our event is the Score-O hockey competition.”
The free event includes ice-skating, lunch and more.
With winter a hit-and-miss proposition in Michigan in the last couple of years, hosting a Winterfest might come at a time with no snowfall. With snow falling on the area early in the week, it appeared that the festival might get a little touch of winter after all.
“Snow or no, it’s still a ‘go’ at the annual Grosse Pointe Woods Winterfest,” the city stated late last year in its GPW Update newsletter.
For planning purposes, Woods asks residents to register by calling (313) 343-2408 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- New Macomb Mall owners to redevelop Crowley’s building - Roseville
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi