Clinton TownshipJune 11, 2013
Gratiot raises Old Glory
By Nico Rubello
C & G Staff Writer
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — Nearly 100 American flags will line Gratiot this summer through a patriotic service project put on by the Kiwanis Club of Clinton Valley.
This is the first year for the program, which allows businesses along the two-and-a-half mile strip of Gratiot in Clinton Township to participate for $50.
In exchange, Kiwanis members will provide and install 10-foot flagpoles bearing 3-by-5-foot American flags in front of the businesses for six weeks out of the summer: around Memorial Day, Flag Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Veterans Day and the Clinton Township Gratiot Cruise on Aug. 4.
“It’s been such an awesome program that benefits and honors our country and our veterans, and benefits the kids in our community,” said Paula Richards, a Kiwanis Club member heading the flag program.
Nearly all of the proceeds are being donated by the Kiwanis Club to programs benefitting Macomb County youth. The dollars will go to a Macomb Intermediate School District education project for homeless youth, Play Place for Autistic Children, Kids on the Go, the Key Club of Clintondale High School and the Builders Club of Richards Middle School. The remainder will go to national Kiwanis projects.
As of Memorial Day, May 27, 22 businesses along the strip displayed 72 flags. The Clinton Township Gratiot Downtown Development Authority had purchased another 20 flags, displaying 10 on the Gratiot median at 14 Mile, and the other half at Metropolitan Parkway.
“A number of businesses already fly flags along the corridor, and we thought this would be a great addition to that,” said the DDA’s Joseph Peruzzi. “I doubt if there was any other corridor in metro Detroit that had the American colors so well displayed as we did in Clinton Township.”
Richards said the Kiwanis Club of Clinton Valley purchased the American-made flags through the Veterans Flag Depot, an online flag wholesaler.
For each of the days, the flags are erected by Kiwanis volunteers a few days before the holiday and collected again a few days afterward.
Businesses along Gratiot can sign up for the program by emailing Richards at prichards@mortgage one.com.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Commission takes stance against I-75 expansion - Royal Oak
- Local chefs share trade secrets for creating the perfect holiday cookie - Metro Detroit
- Hackel touts ‘resurgence’ of Macomb County economy - Macomb County
- Bashara seeks laptop in jail as he prepares for murder trial - Detroit
- Puppies transform prisoners - Rochester Hills
- Troy makes Grand Sakwa offer for transit center land - Troy
- Man charged for indecent exposure on Hall Road - Utica
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi