Rochester HillsMarch 27, 2013
Garage fire spreads to home
By Linda Shepard
C & G Staff Writer
ROCHESTER HILLS — A resident of a house on John R successfully escaped a fire that began in the home’s garage recently.
According to Rochester Hills Fire Chief Ronald Crowell, the adult son of the homeowner reported the fire at 1:03 a.m. March 21. The son was the lone occupant at the time of the fire.
Crowell said firefighters arrived to find the garage fully engulfed in flames, and they successfully stopped the fire from spreading to the house. The cause of the fire is yet to be determined. “It appears to be accidental and not intentional,” Crowell said.
The approximately 2,000-square-foot house is located in the 500 block of John R, north of Hamlin Road. Smoke and fire damaged the house itself. “The insurance company will determine the amount of loss,” Crowell said.
The John R fire was the second significant house fire reported in the city this month.
A home in the 2700 block of Simpson was left with heavy fire and smoke damage after a fire was reported at 2:13 a.m. March 3. No injuries were reported, a police report states.
Simpson is located near Livernois and Auburn roads. Police deputies arrived to find the home’s front bedroom interior on fire. They moved all occupants out of the burning house to safety before fire officials arrived and extinguished the fire.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- New Macomb Mall owners to redevelop Crowley’s building - Roseville
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi