ROCHESTER HILLS — A resident of a house on John R successfully escaped a fire that began in the home’s garage recently.
According to Rochester Hills Fire Chief Ronald Crowell, the adult son of the homeowner reported the fire at 1:03 a.m. March 21. The son was the lone occupant at the time of the fire.
Crowell said firefighters arrived to find the garage fully engulfed in flames, and they successfully stopped the fire from spreading to the house. The cause of the fire is yet to be determined. “It appears to be accidental and not intentional,” Crowell said.
The approximately 2,000-square-foot house is located in the 500 block of John R, north of Hamlin Road. Smoke and fire damaged the house itself. “The insurance company will determine the amount of loss,” Crowell said.
The John R fire was the second significant house fire reported in the city this month.
A home in the 2700 block of Simpson was left with heavy fire and smoke damage after a fire was reported at 2:13 a.m. March 3. No injuries were reported, a police report states.
Simpson is located near Livernois and Auburn roads. Police deputies arrived to find the home’s front bedroom interior on fire. They moved all occupants out of the burning house to safety before fire officials arrived and extinguished the fire.
- 30 DAYS
- City stunned by loss of councilman - St. Clair Shores
- Three house fires reported in one day in Harper Woods - Harper Woods
- Pit bull awareness effort to benefit Madison Heights Animal Shelter - Madison Heights
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Halloween coming early to Red Oaks Nature Center, Golf Course - Madison Heights
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores