Fun-filled summer planned for residents
Posted June 14, 2017
MACOMB TOWNSHIP — It’s almost time for children and adults to let loose.
The Macomb Township Parks and Recreation Department recently announced its free summer event schedule, made possible by various sponsors and friends of the program. Events will take place from late June to early August.
“Tons O Trucks” will kick it all off June 24. Running from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., it is described as the department’s most popular event, drawing more than 5,000 people every year. It will take place at Seneca Middle School and Dakota High School, located at 47000 Heydenreich Road, right off 21 Mile Road.
Michelle Duda, special event coordinator for Macomb Parks and Recreation, said participation has ramped up to the point that a bigger venue was needed to accommodate parking and limit traffic congestion.
The event itself offers people of all ages to get up close and personal with a variety of unique vehicles. More than 60 vehicles and “wheeled wonders” will be on display, including construction trucks, large John Deere farming vehicles, emergency vehicles, a Zamboni, a monster truck, and even a barn on wheels.
Arts & Scraps Mobile from Detroit will be on hand, allowing kids to create their art. A fire truck will be on scene that serves frozen custard, while the Kona truck will provides slushies. There will be games, inflatables and other giveaways.
It’s all free, Duda said, unless attendees wish to pay for concessions.
Every Thursday evening in July, from 7 to 8:30 p.m., different bands will perform at Macomb Corners Park, 19449 25 Mile Road in Macomb Township.
A free play zone will be available for kids at each of the concerts, and more giveaways will be had. Freckle the Frog, the official mascot of the parks and recreation department, is expected to grace the dance floor, too.
Music aficionados will enjoy the concert by Looking Back on July 6. It is a Bob Seger tribute band.
“The Looking Back band really prides themselves on being the best Bob Seger Tribute Band around,” Duda said. “There is a lot of excitement brewing for this concert — we have a lot of Seger fans out there. We are sure they won’t be disappointed.”
Duda joked, saying the free summer events are the township’s best kept secrets. Attendance continues to grow, and venues are still able to house all interested parties.
The Macomb Township Recreation Center is located at 20699 Macomb Street, Macomb Township 48042.
For more information, call (586) 992-2900, ext. 2908.
Macomb Township Parks and Recreation Department summer events calendar:
• June 24 — Ton’s O Trucks — 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Seneca Middle School/Dakota High School
• June 27 — Laughing it up with Rosco the Clown Picnic — 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Macomb Township Recreation Center
• July 6 — Looking Back — Bob Seger Tribute Band concert — 7-8:30 p.m. at Macomb Corners Park
• July 11 — Rosco & Magician Chris Linn Picnic and Kid’s Yard Sale — 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Macomb Township Recreation Center
• July 13 — Laughing Mad Men concert — 7-8:30 p.m. at Macomb Corners Park
• July 18 — Rosco & Guy Lewis Chautauqua Express Picnic — 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Macomb Township Recreation Center
• July 20 — The Groove Council concert — 7-8:30 p.m. at Macomb Corners Park
• July 25 — Rosco’s Carnival Fun & Water Day — 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Macomb Township Recreation Center
• July 27 — 50 Amp Fuse concert — 7-8:30 p.m. at Macomb Corners Park
• August 4 — Kid’s Concert & Movie Under the Stars — 7-10:30 p.m. at Macomb Corners Park
About the author
Nick Mordowanec covers Fraser, Clinton Township, Fraser Public Schools, Clintondale Community Schools and Baker College for the Fraser-Clinton Chronicle. Nick, a graduate of Michigan State University, has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2013 and has won awards from the Society of Professional Journalists Detroit Chapter and the Michigan Press Association. He has slight obsessions with “Seinfeld” and Led Zeppelin.
More from C & G Newspapers