Former athletic trainer charged with smoking pot on school grounds
December 4, 2013
BLOOMFIELD HILLS — An athletic trainer at Bloomfield Hills High School has been charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia following an investigation by Bloomfield Township police in October.
Shira Schiff, 55, of Huntington Woods, turned herself in Nov. 22 and was arraigned in 48th District Court following an incident that began Oct. 18, according to a press release issued by Sgt. Tim Abbo Nov. 25.
Abbo said in the release that a Bloomfield Township school liaison officer was dispatched to Bloomfield Hills High School for a reported issue with a staff member. When the officer arrived, he was informed that a staff member was suspected of being in possession of marijuana.
According to police, another teacher was taking two students to the training room because one of the students had bumped her head. As the teacher entered the training room with the students, he observed the trainer sitting at her desk, and he said he immediately detected an odor of what he believed was marijuana.
The trainer was escorted to the principal’s office and was questioned, and she eventually admitted the marijuana was hers, police said. The trainer took the school officials to the training room and handed over the marijuana and some drug paraphernalia, police said. After being interviewed by school officials, the trainer was relieved of her duties and sent home.
Abbo said statements from school officials indicate they believe the trainer smoked marijuana on school grounds. When the investigation was completed, the case was turned over to the Bloomfield Township prosecutor for review, and charges were issued Oct. 24.
Schiff was given a $500 bond and was released pending her next court date. She has since resigned from Bloomfield Hills Schools. District spokeswoman Shira Good did not respond to repeated requests for comment.
An attorney for Schiff could not be reached by press time.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores