WarrenApril 1, 2013
Fleeing driver charged after chase, crash
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN – A 44-year-old Warren man faces a list of charges after he allegedly fled from police during an Easter traffic stop, grazing an officer with his vehicle and eventually crashing into a police car.
Derrick Alan Martin was arraigned in the 37th District Court April 1 on charges including resisting arrest, fleeing police and operating while intoxicated-third offense.
Warren Deputy Police Commissioner Louis Galasso said Martin was stopped by officers as he traveled north on Dequindre south of 10 Mile Road at 5:20 p.m. March 31.
“Officers viewed his vehicle, which was a 1989 Jeep Cherokee, driving kind of erratically, weaving, unable to hold its lane,” Galasso said. “The officers originally effected a traffic stop and they approached the vehicle, and the driver appeared to visibly show signs of being intoxicated. His radio was excessively high, was playing very loudly, and he was refusing to cooperate and roll down the window.”
Galasso said a patrol officer opened the door and attempted to turn off the Jeep. Martin allegedly hit the gas and sped away as officers stood on both sides of the vehicle.
“The door struck the officer but did not cause any major injury to him,” Galasso said. “Officers retreated back to their scout car and began to pursue what was now a fleeing vehicle east on 10 Mile at a high rate of speed.”
Another officer deployed a tire deflation device on 10 Mile at Van Dyke in an effort to stop the Jeep. The device successfully deflated the right front tire and the Jeep crashed into an unoccupied police car.
Martin allegedly attempted to flee on foot but was arrested at the scene after a brief struggle.
Galasso said Martin, who sustained superficial cuts on his face, was transported to a hospital for treatment and later released into police custody.
Martin allegedly had open alcohol in the Jeep and was reportedly driving on a suspended license. He also had an outstanding felony warrant for his arrest issued through the 36th District Court in Detroit.
Martin requested a court-appointed attorney at his arraignment and remained held in the Macomb County Jail with bail set at $50,000 cash ahead of his next court date on April 9.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- WB board to petition governor for treasurer’s removal - West Bloomfield
- Bashara seeks laptop in jail as he prepares for murder trial - Detroit
- Commission takes stance against I-75 expansion - Royal Oak
- Puppies transform prisoners - Rochester Hills
- Hackel touts ‘resurgence’ of Macomb County economy - Macomb County
- Troy makes Grand Sakwa offer for transit center land - Troy
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Looking Back: Warren Co-op - Warren
- Ferndale resident taking part in Potters Market for first time - Ferndale
- Avoid holiday horror stories - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi