Police and fire officials don’t know what sparked a blaze in a home on Long Lake, east of John R, that displaced three residents in the early hours of Jan. 14.
Firefighters stayed on the scene of the two-alarm fire for seven hours Jan. 14 to ensure the fire was out, Troy fire Lt. Chuck Riesterer said.
When firefighters arrived on the scene just before 1:30 a.m. Jan. 14 they found the 3,000-square-foot home ablaze, with smoke and fire visible. The residents had safely evacuated the home before firefighters arrived, according to reports.
Excessive storage of unnamed items in the home made it difficult for firefighters to maneuver the hose line, according to reports. Also, several additions had been made to the home that concealed the fire and allowed the blaze to travel through the walls and to the attic, Assistant Fire Chief Dave Roberts said in a prepared statement.
One firefighter suffered an injury to his hand when he pulled down a ceiling tile to access fire in the attic, Roberts said in his report. The firefighter was transported to a hospital, where he was treated and released. He is recovering at home.
Firefighters evacuated the home due to the instability caused by the blaze and extinguished the fire from the outside. Because of several hidden pockets of fire, Troy Department of Public Works employees were called to the scene with an excavator they used to demolish a wall to allow firefighters to completely put the fire out, reports stated.
Forty firefighters battled the blaze. The Troy Firefighters Women’s Auxiliary brought hot drinks to the scene and provided accommodations at a local hotel for the three residents of the home.
Because of the extensive damage to the home from the fire and water, it cannot be occupied, Roberts said.
Police and fire officials continue to investigate.