TroyAugust 27, 2013
Fire closes sheet metal workers facility
By Terry Oparka
C & G Staff Writer
TROY — High heat and heavy smoke initially hampered firefighters’ efforts to extinguish a blaze possibly sparked by electrical wires at the Sheet Metal Workers Local 292 facility at 64 Park Street on the Clawson-Troy border, east of Livernois and south of Maple, just after 3 p.m. Aug. 26.
According to reports, upon arrival at the scene, firefighters saw smoke coming from the roof of the large, two-story light industrial building that also housed a sheet metal business. Firefighters took a hose line up to the second floor to try to locate and put out the fire but were forced to back out due to heavy smoke and heat, said Troy Assistant Fire Chief Dave Roberts in a prepared statement.
The fire gained intensity and burned through the roof, raising a second alarm, according to reports.
Roberts said two ladder trucks deployed large-capacity hoses to extinguish the blaze from the air in an effort to contain the blaze to the front part of the building.
This knocked down most of the fire, and then firefighters, from inside the facility, used hose lines to put out the rest of the blaze on the second floor and roof of the warehouse. This kept the fire from spreading to the warehouse, Roberts said.
All occupants of the facility evacuated safely before firefighters arrived, according to reports, and nobody was hurt. Alliance Mobile Health emergency medical technicians closely monitored firefighters due to the high heat of the fire and the humid weather conditions, Roberts said. Firefighters were on the scene for several hours and Park Street was closed to traffic throughout the incident.
The building suffered extensive damage to the front, two-story office section, according to reports. Roberts said the rear warehouse and contents were not damaged. The business remained closed at press time and could not be reached for comment.
The blaze started on the second floor of the building, above the ceiling, and spread into the attic, according to reports. Roberts said that the preliminary investigation indicated the fire may have been electrical, but it remains under investigation.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Business owner slain outside restaurant - Harper Woods
- Christmas Bird Count draws near - Macomb County
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- FPS superintendent retires - Farmington
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi