Charges against alleged serial bank robber Daniel Stacy Galeener have been dismissed in the 39th District Court as federal investigators take over the case.
According to the 39th District Court’s records, the FBI is now investigating the case. Galeener was facing seven charges for the armed robbery of several banks in the region.
Gina Balaya, information officer for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Michigan, said a magistrate judge at the U.S. District Court in Detroit detained Galeener Dec. 9.
“Right now, it’s for one count of bank robbery,” Balaya said. “We’re not sure on any additional charges. We’ll have to wait and see what the indictment looks like.”
Roseville Police Chief James Berlin said the FBI takeover was because of the extent of Galeener’s alleged crimes.
“It’s because he’s (allegedly) a serial bank robber,” Berlin said. “He’s been charged, or will be charged, with at least seven counts, and there may be others that he’s involved in.”
Galeener, a former resident of West Branch who was noted as being currently homeless during his 39th District Court arraignment Dec. 3, was due back in court for a preliminary exam Dec. 11 before federal investigators took over the case. Galeener was charged with robbing a Fifth Third Bank on Gratiot, a Comerica Bank on Groesbeck, as well as at least two other banks in Clinton Township.
At the time of his arrest outside of a motel in Eastpointe, he was armed with a loaded handgun, according to police. During his 39th District Court arraignment, Galeener had pleaded “not guilty” to armed bank robbery and requested a court-appointed attorney.
David Porter, public information officer with the Detroit branch of the FBI, said he did not have any available information on Galeener’s case, but said typically once his department makes the arrest, it’s up to the U.S. Attorney’s Office to move forward.
“When charges will be brought and what charges, that’s up to the U.S. Attorney’s Office,” Porter said. “We just investigate and catch them.”
Jonathan Epstein, with the Federal Defender Office, is representing Galeener, and Epstein had no comment when reached.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township