Charges against alleged serial bank robber Daniel Stacy Galeener have been dismissed in the 39th District Court as federal investigators take over the case.
According to the 39th District Court’s records, the FBI is now investigating the case. Galeener was facing seven charges for the armed robbery of several banks in the region.
Gina Balaya, information officer for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Michigan, said a magistrate judge at the U.S. District Court in Detroit detained Galeener Dec. 9.
“Right now, it’s for one count of bank robbery,” Balaya said. “We’re not sure on any additional charges. We’ll have to wait and see what the indictment looks like.”
Roseville Police Chief James Berlin said the FBI takeover was because of the extent of Galeener’s alleged crimes.
“It’s because he’s (allegedly) a serial bank robber,” Berlin said. “He’s been charged, or will be charged, with at least seven counts, and there may be others that he’s involved in.”
Galeener, a former resident of West Branch who was noted as being currently homeless during his 39th District Court arraignment Dec. 3, was due back in court for a preliminary exam Dec. 11 before federal investigators took over the case. Galeener was charged with robbing a Fifth Third Bank on Gratiot, a Comerica Bank on Groesbeck, as well as at least two other banks in Clinton Township.
At the time of his arrest outside of a motel in Eastpointe, he was armed with a loaded handgun, according to police. During his 39th District Court arraignment, Galeener had pleaded “not guilty” to armed bank robbery and requested a court-appointed attorney.
David Porter, public information officer with the Detroit branch of the FBI, said he did not have any available information on Galeener’s case, but said typically once his department makes the arrest, it’s up to the U.S. Attorney’s Office to move forward.
“When charges will be brought and what charges, that’s up to the U.S. Attorney’s Office,” Porter said. “We just investigate and catch them.”
Jonathan Epstein, with the Federal Defender Office, is representing Galeener, and Epstein had no comment when reached.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores