An explosion blew out a wall and sparked a blaze at Munro & Associates, 1749 Northwood Drive, near Maple and Crooks, at 9:30 p.m. Oct. 24.
No one was in the building at the time of the explosion, said Dave Roberts, Troy assistant fire chief, in a prepared statement. He could not be reached for further comment. According to the company’s website, Munro & Associates is a consulting engineering firm specializing in design and manufacturing methods, and its customers include Chrysler, General Dynamics, Roll Royce, Nikon, Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Rubbermaid.
According to the release, multiple alarms in the building dispatched firefighters, who discovered the explosion had blown out part of a wall in the large industrial facility. They found heavy smoke inside.
The building’s sprinkler system activated, which contained the majority of the fire, Roberts said.
Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire, ensured it was out, shut down the sprinkler system and ventilated smoke from the building.
Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours, according to reports. The damage was confined to the rear warehouse portion of the building, and none of the businesses nearby sustained damage from the incident.
Employees were back in the building Oct. 25.
Police and fire officials continue to investigate to determine the cause of the fire, Roberts said.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- From sanitarium to state park - Metro Detroit
- Planners postpone mosque approval request - Sterling Heights
- Students, parents get charged up for iPads - Troy
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- Township switches to new towing company - Shelby Township
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit