West BloomfieldSeptember 25, 2013
Construction closes down section of 14 Mile Road
By Cari DeLamielleure-Scott
C & G Staff Writer
WEST BLOOMFIELD — DePonio Contracting Inc. of Shelby Township, contractor for the Road Commission for Oakland County, began the 14 Mile Road reconstruction between Haggerty and Country Way Sept. 23, forcing drivers to detour or seek an alternative route until the road re-opens Nov. 15.
With safety being the priority for engineers, a quarter mile of road will be reconstructed with a new angle, said Craig Bryson, public officer with the RCOC.
During the road closure, Country Way Street is accessible solely from the east, and the detour route for 14 Mile Road through traffic is Halsted Road to 13 Mile Road to Haggerty Road and back to 14 Mile Road.
Budgeted at approximately $740,000, the project is financed through the Tri-Party Program, which includes equal financing by West Bloomfield Township, the RCOC and Oakland County.
“Last year about this time, I received a contract from the Road Commission with a tight turnaround for a deadline to apply for some uncommitted Tri-Party funds. I responded to that, and as a result, we received $330,000 of uncommitted Tri-Party funds and dedicated it back to that stretch of road,” said Michele Economou Ureste, West Bloomfield township supervisor.
Upon receiving the finances, the Township Board of Trustees unanimously supported using the money toward the last piece of 14 Mile Road, she said.
In addition to adjusting the surface angle, the plan includes draining improvements to prevent road dilapidation and updating the crosswalk and pedestrian signals to follow Americans With Disabilities Act requirements.
The project is expected to be largely completed and the road re-opened Nov. 15, with landscaping work and restoration to be completed in spring 2014.
The landscaping work and restoration will not have any effect on the traffic.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Business owner slain outside restaurant - Harper Woods
- City purse snatcher still at large - Grosse Pointe City
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Former Berkley mayor offers to repair clock she donated to city - Berkley
- Helping Hands for Hunger food drive helps Norup students - Oak Park
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Looking Back: Warren Co-op - Warren
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi