CLINTON TOWNSHIP — The Selfridge-based Civil Air Patrol Squadron has honored one of its own, a Clinton Township teen, with an award recognizing his involvement.
Cadet Master Sgt. Jonathan Forester, 17, was awarded the 2012 Veterans of Foreign Wars Outstanding Cadet Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year Award. He was chosen from among the 38 cadets in the 176th Selfridge Composite Squadron, according to a statement from the squadron.
Civil Air Patrol units, which meet in locations nationwide, act as the official auxiliary to the U.S. Air Force.
Forester, a high school senior, got involved with Civil Air Patrol in September 2011, after a friend invited him. Since then, he has participated in the squadron color guard, competed in the Michigan Wing Cadet Competition, marshaled in aircraft at the Romeo Fly-In and participated in various training opportunities.
Forester said notable experiences as part of the squadron have included flying single-engine Cessna airplanes and earning his ground team certification, which permits him to search for a downed airplane as part of a team.
He hopes to join an ROTC program next year and eventually become an officer in the U.S. Army, he said.
The 176th squadron meets from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Thursdays at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. For more information, email Lt. Col. Michael Fultz at firstname.lastname@example.org or Capt. Jeff Schelske at jschelske62@gmail. com.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores