CLINTON TOWNSHIP — The Selfridge-based Civil Air Patrol Squadron has honored one of its own, a Clinton Township teen, with an award recognizing his involvement.
Cadet Master Sgt. Jonathan Forester, 17, was awarded the 2012 Veterans of Foreign Wars Outstanding Cadet Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year Award. He was chosen from among the 38 cadets in the 176th Selfridge Composite Squadron, according to a statement from the squadron.
Civil Air Patrol units, which meet in locations nationwide, act as the official auxiliary to the U.S. Air Force.
Forester, a high school senior, got involved with Civil Air Patrol in September 2011, after a friend invited him. Since then, he has participated in the squadron color guard, competed in the Michigan Wing Cadet Competition, marshaled in aircraft at the Romeo Fly-In and participated in various training opportunities.
Forester said notable experiences as part of the squadron have included flying single-engine Cessna airplanes and earning his ground team certification, which permits him to search for a downed airplane as part of a team.
He hopes to join an ROTC program next year and eventually become an officer in the U.S. Army, he said.
The 176th squadron meets from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Thursdays at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. For more information, email Lt. Col. Michael Fultz at email@example.com or Capt. Jeff Schelske at jschelske62@gmail. com.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Court pushes back exam dates for crash survivors - Romeo
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Experts weigh in on the proper use of roundabouts - Southfield
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit