WARREN — Shocked by his sudden passing, those who worked closely with Warren Department of Public Works Director Ben Nabors remembered him as a good man and an excellent manager, sadly gone too soon.
Nabors, 51, passed away Nov. 12, just weeks after he was reportedly diagnosed with cancer. He is survived by his wife, Shirley, and two grown children, Ryan and Amanda.
“Ben will be greatly missed by me and by the many people who came in touch with Ben, both employees and friends,” Warren Mayor Jim Fouts said Nov. 14. “He did a great job and was especially effective with dealing with people.”
Fouts, who appointed Nabors to lead Warren’s DPW in 2008, credited Nabors with spearheading the city’s plowing efforts during heavy snowfall in the first years of his administration.
Those who worked closely with Nabors at the DPW said he was an excellent leader at the department and a quality human being in all areas of his life.
“He was a great leader of our department, I felt,” associate DPW manager Dino Turcato said. “I had a lot of great times with him. We had a lot of great laughs together. He was the nicest person I ever ran across.”
In an obituary published through the D.S. Temrowski & Sons funeral home, Nabors was described as an avid hunter and fisherman who enjoyed his time up north and by the water. Nabors was said to have viewed his family as his greatest gift, and was fair to all, without “an enemy in the world.”
The family requested that memorial contributions be made to Nabors’ children’s college funds in lieu of flowers.
Nabors’ full obituary and funeral information was listed at www.temrowski.com
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit