ROYAL OAK — The City Commission April 7 approved on first reading a request to rezone the property located at 1918 N. Main St. from multiple family residential to office service.
The daycare Jack and Jill Nursery currently is at the site, and its owner requested the change after years of failing to sell the site under its current use.
The commission was to finalize the rezoning April 21, after press time.
Commissioners Peggy Goodwin and Sharlan Douglas voted against it April 7 because of its location next to a home.
“So the owners of what appears to be a privately occupied home, that property will remain multiple family, and they’ll be isolated there,” Douglas said.
Goodwin said that the potential uses for the rezoned site raised a “red flag” for her.
The Planning Commission recommended the rezoning in March.
Laura Jones, the owner of Jack and Jill Nursery, said she has had difficulty selling it because of the building’s current use.
“We have had the business on the market since ’07, and we have not been able to sell it as a daycare center,” Jones said at the March 11 planning meeting.
She said that the daycare industry has changed. Many public schools now offer all-day kindergarten and preschool.
Further, Jones said the daycare center she owns is “functionally obsolete” due to new state regulations.
Commissioners in support said that the rezoning is consistent with the city’s master plan and that the site is near other commercial uses.
Mayor Pro Tem David Poulton, who sits on the Planning Commission, said its members overwhelmingly recommended the rezoning in March.
“It was good then, and it is good now,” Poulton said.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Motorcylist dies shortly after collision on Gratiot Avenue - Clinton Township
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit