MOUNT CLEMENS — No one was injured during a three-alarm fire that broke out inside a multi-business complex on Cass Avenue in Mount Clemens May 4.
According to Mount Clemens Fire Department officials, firefighters were called to the complex located at 247 Cass at approximately 7 p.m. after a passerby observed heavy plumes of smoke coming from the building.
When firefighters arrived, the complex, which holds multiple businesses, including B-Fit Detroit and Angel’s Baseball Training Center, was completely engulfed. A utility pole also caught on fire, and nearby residents were forced to leave their homes for a brief time because it appeared nearby poles would potentially fall, as well.
The fire was so significant that fire crews from Selfridge Air National Guard and Chesterfield, Clinton and Harrison townships arrived to assist.
The fire raged throughout the building, and the wall and roof collapsed, officials report.
Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said his arson investigators were unable to start their investigation on May 5 because of unstable conditions. He said they were on the scene May 6 trying to determine a cause of the fire.
“I have a group of investigators out there now gathering information,” Wickersham said. “They will submit their report when they’re done. Right now, it’s unknown what caused the fire (or where the fire originated).”
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township