MOUNT CLEMENS — No one was injured during a three-alarm fire that broke out inside a multi-business complex on Cass Avenue in Mount Clemens May 4.
According to Mount Clemens Fire Department officials, firefighters were called to the complex located at 247 Cass at approximately 7 p.m. after a passerby observed heavy plumes of smoke coming from the building.
When firefighters arrived, the complex, which holds multiple businesses, including B-Fit Detroit and Angel’s Baseball Training Center, was completely engulfed. A utility pole also caught on fire, and nearby residents were forced to leave their homes for a brief time because it appeared nearby poles would potentially fall, as well.
The fire was so significant that fire crews from Selfridge Air National Guard and Chesterfield, Clinton and Harrison townships arrived to assist.
The fire raged throughout the building, and the wall and roof collapsed, officials report.
Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said his arson investigators were unable to start their investigation on May 5 because of unstable conditions. He said they were on the scene May 6 trying to determine a cause of the fire.
“I have a group of investigators out there now gathering information,” Wickersham said. “They will submit their report when they’re done. Right now, it’s unknown what caused the fire (or where the fire originated).”
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit