ORCHARD LAKE — Martin Vucinaj has several ties to the Orchard Lake Schools — and that’s what draws him to the annual Founder’s and Alumni Day June 21.
Vucinaj, who attend St. Mary’s Preparatory School in the late 1970s and graduated in 1981, described the event as a full-circle moment for former students and school supporters. And he should know, especially from attending the annual event since 1983.
“It is a fun time,” said Vucinaj, chief financial officer for Orchard Lake Schools and co-chairman of the event. “Everybody has a great time, and we would like to have as many people come and attend.”
The 61st annual event kicks off with 8:30 a.m. golf at Bay Pointe Golf Club, 4001 Haggerty Road in West Bloomfield Township; Pine Knob Golf Club, 5580 Waldon Road in Clarkston; and Prestwick Village Golf Club, 136 Inverness in Highland.
A noon Mass will be held at the Orchard Lake Schools’ campus, 3535 Indian Trail, in the Shrine Chapel of Our Lady of Orchard Lake.
According to a school press release, the campus will be open for tours, along with hourly boat rides on Orchard Lake.
Vucinaj said the event will also feature food and drinks.
“The biggest part of it is you come back to Orchard Lake and all you can eat, all you can drink all day,” he said. “We will have fun activities, live entertainment; we have a live band until 7 p.m., then we have a DJ after that.”
Another feature includes $10,000 worth of prize giveaways.
Vucinaj said, most importantly, the event will honor Msgr. Walter Ziemba, who started Founder’s Day, according to a school official.
Orchard Lake Schools was founded by the Rev. Joseph Dabrowski, and Ziemba — who passed away last year — was made the celestial chairman of the event.
“All the invitations went out in his name. We invited all of his family and friends,” Vucinaj said. “This is kind of a remembrance of the original founder.”
Vucinaj said the event is memorable for all.
“Everybody has a great time, and we would like to have as many people come and attend,” he said.
For more information about the event, email email@example.com or call (248)-682-1885.
- 30 DAYS
- Fraser High band to perform at college football bowl game - Fraser
- Driver in crash that killed teen faces murder charge - Sterling Heights
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- New Fraser council members sworn in - Fraser
- Harper reopened for traffic - St. Clair Shores
- No injuries after shot fired during robbery - Roseville
- Students share words of thanks during holiday week - Clawson
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights