Orchard LakeJune 19, 2013
Annual Founder’s, Alumni Day to honor founder
By Sherri Kolade
C & G Staff Writer
ORCHARD LAKE — Martin Vucinaj has several ties to the Orchard Lake Schools — and that’s what draws him to the annual Founder’s and Alumni Day June 21.
Vucinaj, who attend St. Mary’s Preparatory School in the late 1970s and graduated in 1981, described the event as a full-circle moment for former students and school supporters. And he should know, especially from attending the annual event since 1983.
“It is a fun time,” said Vucinaj, chief financial officer for Orchard Lake Schools and co-chairman of the event. “Everybody has a great time, and we would like to have as many people come and attend.”
The 61st annual event kicks off with 8:30 a.m. golf at Bay Pointe Golf Club, 4001 Haggerty Road in West Bloomfield Township; Pine Knob Golf Club, 5580 Waldon Road in Clarkston; and Prestwick Village Golf Club, 136 Inverness in Highland.
A noon Mass will be held at the Orchard Lake Schools’ campus, 3535 Indian Trail, in the Shrine Chapel of Our Lady of Orchard Lake.
According to a school press release, the campus will be open for tours, along with hourly boat rides on Orchard Lake.
Vucinaj said the event will also feature food and drinks.
“The biggest part of it is you come back to Orchard Lake and all you can eat, all you can drink all day,” he said. “We will have fun activities, live entertainment; we have a live band until 7 p.m., then we have a DJ after that.”
Another feature includes $10,000 worth of prize giveaways.
Vucinaj said, most importantly, the event will honor Msgr. Walter Ziemba, who started Founder’s Day, according to a school official.
Orchard Lake Schools was founded by the Rev. Joseph Dabrowski, and Ziemba — who passed away last year — was made the celestial chairman of the event.
“All the invitations went out in his name. We invited all of his family and friends,” Vucinaj said. “This is kind of a remembrance of the original founder.”
Vucinaj said the event is memorable for all.
“Everybody has a great time, and we would like to have as many people come and attend,” he said.
For more information about the event, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (248)-682-1885.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Business owner slain outside restaurant - Harper Woods
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Christmas Bird Count draws near - Macomb County
- Former Berkley mayor offers to repair clock she donated to city - Berkley
- City purse snatcher still at large - Grosse Pointe City
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi