And then there was one
January 23, 2013
Dave Richards, superintendent of Fraser Public Schools, notified the Rochester Community Schools Board of Education that he was withdrawing his name from the superintendent search early this morning, just hours before the final interviews.
RCS Community Relations Director Debbi Hartman said he did not give a reason why.
As for the next steps, Hartman said the board will interview the remaining candidate, Robert Shaner — the current executive director of instruction and technology for the Warren Consolidated School District — as scheduled, tonight at 5 p.m. in the Harrison Room of the RCS Administration Building.
“They will then meet tomorrow night to vote yes or no on offering him a contract. The next steps will depend on that vote,” Hartman said in an email.
The Board of Education will make its final decision during a special meeting at 7 p.m. Jan. 24 in the Harrison Room.
Shaner has served as executive director of instruction and technology for the Warren Consolidated School District — which has an enrollment of 15,600 students and a $160 million budget — for the past two years. Prior to that, he held various positions in the Warren Consolidated School District, including high school principal, middle school assistant principal, high school teacher and crisis coordinator. He also served as a juvenile detective for the Troy Police Department for three years and served in the Marine Corps. In his application, Shaner cited his reason for leaving Warren Consolidated as “seeking new opportunity.” Shaner has a Ph.D. in educational leadership from Oakland University, an educational specialist degree in educational leadership from Wayne State University, a master’s degree in education from Central Michigan University and a bachelor’s degree in political science from the University of Detroit. He lives in Shelby Township.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit