Alcohol charges investigated in fatal collision on 16 Mile
December 19, 2013
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — Macomb County Sheriff’s detectives are seeking to file possible alcohol-related charges against a 50-year-old Harrison Township man who was involved in a fatal two-vehicle accident Dec. 12.
According to sheriff’s reports, the man was traveling eastbound on 16 Mile at Union Lake Road in Harrison Township at 8:13 p.m. when a Ford Taurus, driven by a 19-year-old Clinton Township woman, pulled onto 16 Mile from Union Lake. The man allegedly slammed into the driver’s side of the victim’s vehicle, throwing debris across both sides of the four-lane roadway, and both vehicles came to rest on the 16 Mile median.
Investigators say the victim, Maya Michelle Horton, may not have yielded to eastbound traffic, but the investigation is still ongoing.
Horton was transported to McLaren Macomb Hospital, where she was pronounced dead, sheriff’s officials report.
Wickersham said alcohol is believed to be a factor in the accident, and the man was arrested at the scene but later released. He was not injured in the collision.
Sheriff’s Lt. John Michalke said a blood draw was done on the man at the hospital, but the results are still pending.
At press time, the Macomb County Prosecutor’s Office had still not filed any alcohol-related charges against the man.
- 30 DAYS
- Body of Southfield fire chief found in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Friends don’t steal from the dead’ - Farmington Hills
- Roseville man arrested for alleged kidnapping and torture - Roseville
- Back-to-School Bonanza prepares needy kids for fall - Rochester
- Shelby dentist makes impact in Haiti - Shelby Township
- Bike network to connect six Woodward communities - Ferndale
- Hartwell resigns from council to run for mayor - Madison Heights
- Fatal crash occurs on Hayes Road - Macomb Township
- New boutique focuses on power of positivity - Madison Heights
- Suspicious man reported near school playground - St. Clair Shores
- Great Lakes water levels reach highest point since 1998 - Metro Detroit
- Allegedly drunken driver runs stop sign, crashes into business - Harrison Township
- Farmers market coming July 26 - St. Clair Shores
- Gone with the graffiti - Utica