$12,000 in cigarettes stolen in heist
April 18, 2014
WARREN — A search remained ongoing this week for two men who assaulted a delivery driver and took cases of cigarettes worth about $12,000 at a Clark gas station on Mound, south of Chicago Road, April 10.
According to a police report, two men — both described as about 20 years old, black and wearing dark clothing — confronted a 49-year-old Monroe man as he delivered cigarettes in a truck at about 10:30 a.m.
One suspect, further described as 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall and about 140 pounds, allegedly walked up the ramp into the back of the truck and pointed a black semiautomatic handgun at the driver. The suspect reportedly ordered the man to “get down,” and said, “You don’t want to get shot just for property.”
The driver told police he lunged for the gun and got into a scuffle, as the suspects reportedly took turns holding him down while the other went through cases of cigarettes in the back of the truck.
The thieves then reportedly left and closed the truck’s rear door behind them, with the driver still inside.
A witness told police she saw the scuffle in the back of the truck and watched the suspects flee south and west toward a nearby apartment complex.
The driver reportedly suffered abrasions in the encounter.
Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said thieves have been known to note delivery schedules of various items, including cigarettes. He said the stolen cigarettes could have been sold illegally to smaller stores at cut-rate prices. Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Warren police detectives at (586) 574-4810.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville