WARREN — A search remained ongoing this week for two men who assaulted a delivery driver and took cases of cigarettes worth about $12,000 at a Clark gas station on Mound, south of Chicago Road, April 10.
According to a police report, two men — both described as about 20 years old, black and wearing dark clothing — confronted a 49-year-old Monroe man as he delivered cigarettes in a truck at about 10:30 a.m.
One suspect, further described as 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall and about 140 pounds, allegedly walked up the ramp into the back of the truck and pointed a black semiautomatic handgun at the driver. The suspect reportedly ordered the man to “get down,” and said, “You don’t want to get shot just for property.”
The driver told police he lunged for the gun and got into a scuffle, as the suspects reportedly took turns holding him down while the other went through cases of cigarettes in the back of the truck.
The thieves then reportedly left and closed the truck’s rear door behind them, with the driver still inside.
A witness told police she saw the scuffle in the back of the truck and watched the suspects flee south and west toward a nearby apartment complex.
The driver reportedly suffered abrasions in the encounter.
Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said thieves have been known to note delivery schedules of various items, including cigarettes. He said the stolen cigarettes could have been sold illegally to smaller stores at cut-rate prices. Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Warren police detectives at (586) 574-4810.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- Meijer plans curbside pickup - Rochester Hills
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- K-9 to receive bulletproof vest - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Police chief recognized for domestic violence prevention - Southfield
- Rochester hires new city manager - Rochester
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township