Published July 23, 2014
‘Uptown’ concert series returns to Mount Clemens
By Julie Snyder email@example.com
MOUNT CLEMENS — Pat Lamere heeded the Mount Clemens Downtown Development Authority’s recommendation to bring a lawn chair to the first Uptown Friday Night Concert of the season on July 11.
But the high-energy Caribbean sounds of the award-winning reggae band Roots Vibration made it hard to stay seated.
“They are really good,” said Lamere, 50, Clinton Township. “Look — everybody’s dancing.”
And, according to Michelle Weiss, marketing coordinator of the DDA, that is the main goal of the free, family-friendly concerts.
“It’s just a way of offering musical entertainment in the city, and bringing people out here to have dinner and stroll the shops,” said Weiss. “And these are all great local bands.”
The outdoor concert series offers a wide variety of music genres from some of metro Detroit’s top musical artists, Weiss said.
The concerts run from 7:30-9 p.m. at the Fountain Stage on Macomb Place between North Walnut and Pine Streets. Weiss said the concerts begin at the perfect time to allow concert-goers ample time to explore the downtown stores, dine or grab take out from local restaurants, or enjoy a drink on one of nearly a dozen patio options in the area.
There are six concerts in the series, each sponsored by local businesses and the Mount Clemens Downtown Development Authority.
The remaining Uptown Friday Night Concert Series at the Fountain Stage schedule include the eclectic sounds of the Music Messengers on July 25; rock and blues by Tri County Blues on Aug. 1; classic rock and folk music from Trilogy on Aug. 15; and classic rock from Whiplash on Aug. 22.
The concerts take place every other week to make way for the Nashville in the Neighborhood Concert series taking place Wednesdays from 7-9 p.m. at 49 Macomb Place near the Anton Art Center.
Other upcoming Nashville in the Neighborhood shows include Gunnar and the Grizzly Boys on Aug. 6, and Parmalee on Sept. 3.
The Uptown Friday Night Concert Series at the Fountain Stage is sponsored by Bath City Bistro; Chantel’s Jailhouse Deli; Detroit Pub; John Barleycorn’s; Nickel & Saph, Inc.; Orleans; and the DDA.
For more information, go to www.downtownmountclemens.com.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Don’t be behind the curve on roundabouts - Metro Detroit
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say
- Henry, longtime police K-9, to retire April 17
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan
- NAMM award is sweet music to UCS
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter
- Cycling for a good cause