Police investigate alleged threat at Lincoln High School in Warren

UPDATE: District responds

By: Brian Louwers, Maria Allard | Warren Weekly | Published January 12, 2022

 Lincoln High School

Lincoln High School

File photo


WARREN — A 10th grade student was taken into custody and Lincoln High School was placed on lockdown briefly during the afternoon of Jan. 12 while Warren Police investigated allegations of a threat made with a handgun.

Warren Police Department Deputy Commissioner Robert Ahrens confirmed that police were sent to the school to investigate a report of a possible student with a gun. He said police did not find a weapon, but said the student was in custody and that there were no injuries reported.

A magazine was reportedly recovered at the scene, but Ahrens could not say whether it was loaded or not, and the investigation remained ongoing. 

In a statement released later in the afternoon, Warren Police Commissioner William Dwyer said police were sent to the school on Nine Mile Road, east of Van Dyke Avenue, at 1:56 p.m. to investigate a report of a 15-year-old student threatening another student with a handgun. Dwyer said the school’s Warren Police Department resource officer and a patrol officer located and apprehended the student within three minutes. 

The school was reportedly placed on lockdown briefly until police confirmed there was no further threat to students or staff. 

Warren detectives planned to meet with Macomb County prosecutors about charges.

Dwyer said appropriate training allowed officers and school officials to work together to “quickly and safely resolve this dangerous situation.”

“I am grateful for the quick reaction of the school resource officer and responding uniformed personnel,” Dwyer said.

The student had allegedly threatened a female classmate. 

“A young lady let our (liaison) officer know she had been threatened,” Van Dyke Public Schools Superintendent Piper Bognar said. “She saw something she thought could have been a weapon. The school immediately was put into lockdown. Our staff and students completely followed protocol.”

Bognar said she did “not know the exact verbiage” of the threat. The district follows the Run, Hide, Fight - Active Shooter Protocol.

According to the superintendent, while there was no weapon found on the student, police confiscated an empty magazine from him.  

Police reportedly conducted a search of the school, and “nothing was found,” Bognar said. Because of the lockdown, students were dismissed 20 minutes later after their regular dismissal time. Due to the incident, police officers escorted the students from the building. Bognar said she “could not comment” on whether or not the apprehended student would be expelled, but that the district would follow its student codes of conduct. 

In response to the event, on Jan. 13, staff provided extra mental health support for all students, staff or family members. In addition, classes at Lincoln High School were held virtually Jan. 13-14. The rest of the district continued with face-to-face learning. 

“We felt that would be the best option,” Bognar said.