Woman dead, boyfriend in police custody

By: Victoria Mitchell | Royal Oak Review | Published October 12, 2015 | Updated October 19, 2015 2:33pm

 David Douglas Davis stares at the floor during his arraignment on an open murder charge in 44th District Court Oct. 15.

David Douglas Davis stares at the floor during his arraignment on an open murder charge in 44th District Court Oct. 15.

Photo by Victoria Mitchell


David Douglas Davis never looked up from the floor as he was charged with the killing of 50-year-old resident Theresa Diamos and told that he is facing life in prison.

Davis, 49, appeared before 44th District Court Judge Derek Meinecke at 8:30 a.m. Oct. 15 while four charges against him were read to the courtroom.

Davis continued to stare at the floor during the entire proceeding as sobs were heard from friends and family sitting behind him in the courtroom. Police said he was the live-in boyfriend of the deceased.

“I’m setting no bond at this time based on the charge of murder,” Meinecke said, remanding Davis to the Oakland County Jail.

Davis was charged with one count of open murder, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

He also was charged with one count of possessing a firearm — a shotgun — at the time of attempting or committing a felony, which carries a sentence of two years in prison to be served prior to any other sentence if found guilty.

Other charges included possessing a firearm when ineligible to do so, carrying a  sentence of five years in prison; and one count of carrying a firearm at the time of committing or attempting a felony when found guilty of violating count three, which carries a sentence of two years in prison.

Meinecke said Davis was ineligible to carry a firearm because he has a prior conviction for assault to commit great bodily harm. His criminal history includes convictions for assault with a dangerous weapon in 2004, operating while impaired in 2005, and assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder in 2006.

The only word Davis said in the courtroom was “court,” after Meinecke asked the defendant twice if he could afford an attorney or if he needed one appointed by the court. While quietly speaking the word, he made no eye contact with the judge.

Cries were heard as Davis, accompanied by police, shuffled his way to the back of the courtroom in a white jumpsuit with his wrists and feet bound.

A spokesman for the Diamos family asked for privacy at this time and said they would issue a statement when they felt ready.

An attorney for Davis had not been assigned.

Police said Diamos was shot and killed sometime after 2 a.m. Oct. 12 in the 800 block of North Altadena, near Campbell Road south of Gardenia Avenue on the city’s east side.

According to a press release issued before noon Oct. 12 by Deputy Police Chief Gordon Young, police responded to a house after receiving a 911 call from a neighbor at 2:52 a.m.

The Oakland County Sheriff’s Office Dispatch Center then received a request from the Royal Oak Police Department for assistance from the OCSO Forensic Lab Unit to assist them in processing a possible homicide scene.

According to Young, the suspect initially told neighbors and responding officers that there was an intruder; however, investigators found no evidence to support the suspect’s initial claim. Police said that once in custody, Davis refused to cooperate with the investigation.

Police released limited information about the incident following the death, but they did say it was a homicide. Davis was arrested at the scene for illegally possessing a firearm and was named as the sole suspect in the murder.

Young said the department believed there was no threat to the neighborhood.

Michael Jaskiewicz lives across the street from the home and said that he and his girlfriend were woken up by their barking dog after 2 a.m.

“I heard some yelling and shouting and thought maybe it was a drunk individual; about five, 10 minutes later, I heard more shouting and got up and looked out and saw an individual crouched by my car, which I realized was a police officer,” he said.

Jaskiewicz said there were many officers on the street and they were yelling for someone to come out of the house.

Jaskiewicz said he then saw a man come out of the house who was taken into police custody.

“I woke up this morning and the whole street was cordoned off with caution tape across my car, and the street was still blocked off,” he said.

This is the first reported homicide in Royal Oak this year.

A preliminary examination before Meinecke was set for 9 a.m. Oct. 30.

The Royal Oak Police Department asks that anyone with information call Sgt. Don Swiatkowski at (248) 246-3528.