Attention Readers
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, C & G Newspapers has temporarily suspended its print publications. We look forward to resuming our print operation in the coming weeks. In the meantime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter. We hope you stay healthy and safe.

Suspect charged in attack on local woman

By: K. Michelle Moran | Grosse Pointe Times | Published January 19, 2016

GROSSE POINTE PARK — A man suspected in several recent violent attacks on women is now facing charges for one on a woman in Grosse Pointe Park last month.

The suspect, an 18-year-old Detroit man, is already facing multiple charges from an incident on Dec. 30 in which police said he broke into a home in the 5800 block of Radnor Street in Detroit and stabbed a 39-year-old Detroit woman in the chest with a knife. According to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, the suspect attacked the woman with the intent of sexually assaulting her, but the woman was able to fight him off. On Jan. 10, the suspect was arraigned in 34th District Court in Romulus and given a $1 million cash bond on charges of first-degree home invasion, assault with intent to murder and assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct.

Police believe he’s the same man who cut a 48-year-old Grosse Pointe Farms woman as she was walking in the 1400 block of Cadieux Road, near Charlevoix Avenue in Grosse Pointe Park, just after midnight Dec. 13. A spokesperson for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office said by email that the suspect spoke to the woman briefly before he attacked her with a sharp object, cutting her on the face, neck and upper chest area. Park police said the woman hit the suspect with her purse, causing him to flee.

After Detroit police arrested the suspect Jan. 8, they said he confessed to the attack in Grosse Pointe Park. The Farms woman was treated and released from a local hospital the morning of the attack, police said.

On Jan. 13, the suspect was arraigned in Grosse Pointe Park Municipal Court on a charge of assault with intent to murder. At press time, a spokesperson for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office said a probable cause conference in the case is slated for Jan. 27 and a preliminary examination is scheduled for Feb. 3.

The suspect is considered by Detroit police to be a “person of interest” in connection with a Jan. 7 assault on a 17-year-old girl who died Jan. 12 from injuries sustained during that attack.

In an email, a spokesperson for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office said the suspect is “connected to several rape cases” in Detroit.

“The successful prosecution of the alleged actions of this defendant will bring closure to several crimes in Wayne County,” said Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy in a prepared statement.