Attention Readers
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, C & G Newspapers has temporarily suspended its print publications. We look forward to resuming our print operation in the coming weeks. In the meantime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter. We hope you stay healthy and safe.

Squirrels cause fire in pool room at local hotel

By: Terry Oparka | Troy Times | Published June 22, 2016

Photo by Michelle R. Jones/Shutterstock.com

Advertisement
Advertisement

Firefighters evacuated guests from their rooms at the Homewood Suites, 1495 Equity Drive, the morning of June 18 after a fire was reported in the one-story pool building attached to the four-story hotel just after 8 a.m.

Firefighters found smoke in the attic of the pool room, and they discovered that a ventilation unit had overheated and caused the smoke, said Troy Assistant Fire Chief Chuck Riesterer. Lights flickered throughout the inside of the hotel, and DTE Energy was called to the scene.

Hotel occupants were asked to remain outdoors until the source of the power issue was confirmed. Crews repaired the electrical short, restored the hotel to full power and deemed it was safe for hotel guests to return to their rooms at 10:25 a.m., according to reports.

“Squirrels got into the wiring at the poles, causing the brownout in the hotel and the ventilation motors to overheat without enough power, causing the fire,” Riesterer said. 

No one was hurt, and there was no estimate of the costs of the damage at press time.

Advertisement
Advertisement