Attention Readers
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, C & G Newspapers has temporarily suspended its print publications. We look forward to resuming our print operation in the coming weeks. In the meantime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter. We hope you stay healthy and safe.

Southfield woman’s death ruled accidental

By: Kayla Dimick | Southfield Sun | Published February 14, 2020

 The death of Southfield woman Adrienne Quintal was recently ruled accidental

The death of Southfield woman Adrienne Quintal was recently ruled accidental

Photo provided by Jennifer Bryson


A medical examiner ruled the death of Adrienne Quintal accidental, police announced recently. 

Quintal, 47, of Southfield, was found dead Dec. 21 after going missing in October from a family cabin in Honor.

At that time, police said they believed there was no foul play involved. 

On Feb. 13, the Benzie County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release that on Feb. 12, police received the official autopsy report of Quintal. 

In the release, police said, Dr. Lois R. Goslinoski determined Quintal’s death was due to the combined toxic effects of methamphetamine and Diazepam, a drug used to treat anxiety, muscle spasms and seizures. 

Police said in the release that Goslinowski also determined that hypothermia/environmental exposure to cold were contributing causes of Quintal’s death, and that the manner in which she died was accidental. 

Police said that at around 2:45 a.m. Oct. 17, Quintal called someone in Warren and asked for help. That person then contacted the Benzie County Sheriff’s Office. 

The Warren resident told police that Quintal said she was in a shootout with two men and had shot one of them in the face. 

Police were dispatched to a family cabin in Honor, where Quintal was staying. At the scene, they observed evidence of possible foul play, according to a news release.

The Michigan State Police crime lab processed the scene, collected several spent shell casings and determined multiple shots had been fired from inside the residence toward the outside. 

Police, including a K-9 unit, had searched the woods around the cabin using thermal imaging cameras, but no evidence was collected. 

According to a news release from Benzie County Sheriff Ted Schendel, a particular area of interest — a beaver pond near the cabin — could not be searched earlier in December because it was flooded. 

On Dec. 21, Jennifer Bryson, Quintal’s sister, posted on Facebook that her sister’s body had been found. 

On Dec. 21, Quintal’s family and friends, according to Schendel, attempted to drain the water and began searching the flooded area with a canoe. 

Schendel said that during the search, a body later determined to be Quintal was found. 

Call Staff Writer Kayla Dimick at (586) 279-1108.