Seven-hour police standoff ends with peaceful arrest

By: Victoria Mitchell | Royal Oak Review | Published March 27, 2017

File photo by Deb Jacques

Advertisement
Advertisement

A seven-hour standoff with police ended in surrender after a man living on the city’s east side was taken into custody.

Police were not releasing the man’s name pending possible charges and arraignment. He lives in the 900 block of North Connecticut Avenue, where the standoff happened late Sunday into Monday morning. The home is located south of Gardenia Avenue and west of Campbell Road.

Police said that no one was injured, including a woman the man was dating and the man’s 10-year-old son. The son was inside the home at the time the man reportedly refused to leave.

Royal Oak Police Department Criminal Investigations Division Lt. Keith Spencer said the man was intoxicated at the time of the incident.

According to a statement issued by the Royal Oak Police Department, officers initially responded to the home at about 10:20 p.m. March 26 after receiving a domestic dispute call.

Police said the man was suspected of domestic assault, and he reportedly refused to come out of the house when police arrived.

“The female caller said she had been assaulted and the suspect had chased her into a parked vehicle,” the police statement said. “The suspect was attempting to pry the car door open and fled back into the home after learning the police had been called.”

According to police, Royal Oak officers responded and learned that the suspect allegedly had made threatening statements regarding the welfare of the victim, himself and his child.

Police said the man had access to a sword collection and a firearm.

According to the statement, officers entered the home, located the 10-year-old child and brought him out to safety.

“While in the home the suspect refused to respond to officers’ commands and was believed to be hiding somewhere inside the house,” the statement said.

Police said that at that time, the Southeast Oakland SWAT Team was called.

“The suspect still refused to respond to officers who were attempting to make contact with him by phone and loudspeakers,” the statement said. “Chemical munitions were deployed into the home and after seven hours, the suspect surrendered peacefully.”

Cleanup and restoration workers could be seen at the home later in the afternoon.

Spencer said the chemicals used — primarily tear gas — could cause some damage inside a house.

The Royal Oak Police Department Criminal Investigations Division is investigating and formal charges will be sought upon the completion of the investigation.

“Once the child was safely removed from the house, the officers made the prudent decision to step back in an attempt to de-escalate the situation,” Police Chief Corey O’Donohue said in a statement. “Although it took several hours, I am pleased we were able to resolve this volatile incident peacefully.”

Advertisement
Advertisement