Attention Readers
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, C & G Newspapers has temporarily suspended its print publications. We look forward to resuming our print operation in the coming weeks. In the meantime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter. We hope you stay healthy and safe.

Royal Oak police identify driver in hit-and-run

By: Sarah Wojcik | Royal Oak Review | Published March 18, 2020

File photo by Deb Jacques


ROYAL OAK — On March 9, Royal Oak detectives followed up on an anonymous tip regarding a Feb. 27 hit-and-run that injured a Royal Oak parking enforcement officer on Main Street, near Fifth Street.

Detectives interviewed a 34-year-old resident of Hazel Park, and she admitted to being the driver in the hit-and-run, police said.

A warrant was issued for her arrest for one count of failure to stop at the scene of an accident, a misdemeanor punishable by not more than 90 days in jail and/or a fine of not more than $100, and one count of failure to yield the right of way to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, a civil infraction punishable by two points on her driving record and a $135 fine.

An arraignment date was pending and had not been scheduled at press time.

At approximately 4:57 p.m. Feb. 27, a four-door red car traveling north on Main Street, near Fifth Street, failed to yield and struck the on-duty parking enforcement officer, who was crossing Main Street eastbound in a crosswalk.

Lt. Al Carter, of the Royal Oak Police Department, said the parking enforcement officer fell onto the car and rolled off onto the ground. He said the driver of the vehicle stopped briefly and verbally checked on the officer to see if he was OK.

The officer told her to pull over and she fled from the scene, Carter said. He said the parking enforcement officer was treated at a local hospital and suffered a fractured leg from the incident.

Carter said multiple witnesses stopped at the scene, that road conditions were dry at the time, and that the parking enforcement officer was able to stand up after the collision.