Restaurant co-owner charged with murdering wife

By: Nick Mordowanec | C&G Newspapers | Published January 26, 2021




CLINTON TOWNSHIP — The co-owner of a well-known area restaurant has been charged with allegedly killing his wife.

Joseph Jim Palleschi, 55, of Clinton Township, was charged Jan. 19 in 41-B District Court with one count of open murder homicide. His bond was set at $500,000 by Magistrate Ryan Zemke.

Clinton Township Police Capt. Richard Maierle said Jan. 19 that police were called to the Palleschi residence on Vincenzia Drive, south of 18 Mile Road, at about 2:40 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 16.

Maierle said the body of Palleschi’s wife, Karen, was found in the area in the house between the garage and kitchen. She was shot once in the head.

“You could see her almost going out of the garage,” he said.

Palleschi reportedly surrendered to police without incident. When asked if the suspect provided any motive for the alleged homicide, Maierle said there was none.

The gun allegedly used in the murder was recovered at the scene.

Along with his brother, Palleschi owns the 60-year-old Villa Restaurant on Gratiot Avenue in Eastpointe.

On Jan. 17, a statement was posted on the restaurant’s Facebook page, that “in light of a recent tragedy within the family,” the restaurant would be closed through Jan. 19, and reopen only for carryout orders Jan. 20.

“We thank you for your continued patronage and ask that you respect the privacy of the family as we mourn the loss of a loved one,” the post concluded.

Eastpointe-Roseville Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Linda Weishaupt, as many others in the community, couldn’t believe the news.

“They haven’t been an (Eastpointe-Roseville) Chamber of Commerce member for several years but they have been part of the Eastpointe community since I was little,” Weishaupt said. “Everyone knew about the Villa, so this is very shocking.”

Court records indicate Palleschi is scheduled for a Feb. 2 probable cause conference, presided by 41-B Judge Sebastian Lucido. Palleschi’s attorney did not return a call seeking comment by press time.